Tuesday, July 19, 2011

KOREA Round Two



Hello. I'm back.

Back in Korea. Back at work. Back to being referred to as "Katrina Teacher." Back to the sweltering heat/humidity (and a little rainy season, too). Back to a one room apartment.

This time around, I know my surroundings. I pretty much know what to expect. So, things are going well. There were a few bobbles with the new employers (much less organized than last year's people)...but I started teaching on Monday and I feel pretty good about things. We begin the "intensive" schedule this Thursday, so I'll be in at 11:30 and out at 8:30. Not too bad. That will last for a month.

Next Friday starts a mini vacation. We are off Friday-Tuesday. So, Justin and I are heading down to Busan, which is a city that still remains on my Korea To-Do list. I'm excited to see the beaches and all that Busan can provide.

Last weekend, I met up with a few old coworkers. It was Alex's birthday, so Carolyn and Courtney were there to celebrate, too. How WONDERFUL it was to see familiar faces. We laughed a lot. Alex played pool and celebrated his birthday while the ladies chatted about life, etc. I hope to see those folks a lot more before they all leave the country.

On Sunday, Justin and I ventured to Seoul to check out Seodaemun Prison. The prison was where many resistors of the Japanese occupation (early 1900's-1945) were taken, tortured, and made to work. Pretty sad history, but very interesting and informative.

Here are a select few pictures. The Seodaemun pics were taken with my iPod, so please excuse the poooor quality (we forgot a real camera).

First of all, I was SUPER happy to see THIS guy, when I arrived in Korea (also an iPod pic):

 I was also SUPER excited to see these ladies and this other guy:




I even found myself missing my old job.......but then realized it was mostly because of these individuals----I mean, really? Don't we look like we have fun?


A more sobering day on Sunday...but still a lot of fun!



 Pictures/ID info of Prisoners lined one room as a memorial.

 The box was lined with spikes.


Grounds of the prison. Some buildings were moved to another location later. 
I shouldn't be smiling.....

Cell door. The people were packed so tightly that sometimes there wasn't 
room for all to sleep on the floor laying down.
 Prisoners manufactured bricks and other items. This symbol is still on many of the bricks laid on the grounds. It shows they were made at Seodaemun.


Just a silly picture of me coming out of a fun little book 
nook we found after leaving the Prison.

 Maaaarket!

I was starving, so we went to Itaewon for falafel. Deeelicious.

Hummus! So happy!

It's Wednesday and I'm ready for another weekend---so let's hope the next few days go by quickly! It feels great to be back and I'm sure the next year will be full of adventures.........stay tuned. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH KT--love your pics and stories and miss your telling them in person over coffee in the morning but am so happy to see you LIVING life to the fullest! --mom