Friday, March 18, 2011

weekly update

Last weekend, Hiroko and her friend, Nabe, visited from Japan. I met Hiroko at WSU and Justin and I visited her in Japan last summer. It was so wonderful to see her, especially since she flew over the day after the big earthquake.

Prior to meeting up with Hiroko and Nabe, Justin and I went on a tour of the "Blue House," or the Korean president's house. We didn't actually get to go inside, but walked around the grounds and listened to a pre-recorded tour on our headsets. It was pretty interesting...and FREE. We even received two free coffee mugs! Sweet!

After meeting up with Nabe and Hiroko, we wandered around for a bit in Myeongdong, then took the tram up to Namsan Tower. It was fun to see the tower at night... they light it up and it's very pretty. We found a restaurant, ate, and then went to a random bar for a drink. Quite fun.

Sunday, Justin and I raced up to Seoul again to meet with, not only Hiroko and Nabe, but some of their Korean friends from school. I got to wander around a new area (Hyehwa) that I most definitely want to return to. Then, we went to NANTA. For those that I haven't told yet, Nanta is amazing! It's a drum/musical/entertainment show that keeps your head bobbing the whole time. The setting is a restaurant kitchen and the cooks have to make a bunch of food by a certain time. They like to have a little fun cooking, so they use all kinds of kitchen utensils to make music. My cheeks hurt from smiling/laughing so much.

It was an exhausting but VERY fun weekend. I really enjoy Hiroko and Nabe--probably two of the nicest people you will ever meet--so it was wonderful to spend time with them.

Sadly, most of the pictures from the weekend were on Justin's camera, which was lost on our way home...--so I only have pics from Saturday at the Blue House and a few from Hiroko's phone.

The Blue House (sorry for the bad shot!)

hehehehe 

 Caught the changing of the guard at Gyeongbok Palace...
 
Hiroko's Pictures....(thank you!).....

Street food in Myeongdong


Namsan Tower

Woop! Nabe, Justin, Me 

Lunch on Sunday. "Ian" (Korean friend/English name) is on the right. 

Nantaaaaa

Hiroko and Spenser!

Three wonderful ladies: Nabe, "Sophie," and Hiroko  

I'm sad that all of the best pictures were lost...but at least I have the memories!

OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN: Exactly 4 weeks of teaching, 1 week of fun, and I will be in SeaTown!


No comments: