Sunday, January 2, 2011

So this is the new year

Happy 2011!

My celebration consisted of a visit from a friend and a quiet night in. Last Wednesday, I came down with the nasty Korean cold (flu?) that I have now experienced 5 times since living here. It still hasn't left, several days later, but at least I'm up before noon and ache free--a huge improvement from New Year's Eve.

It's funny that the new year should bring on more feelings of home than Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I found myself more pensive and a tad bit emotional yesterday.

2010 was a great year. I said hello in Kansas. Spent some time in the great state of Pennsylvania (even did a stint making Hershey Kisses). Then, I found myself, somewhat upside-down, in Korea.

And what an experience Korea has been. New people, language, culture, job. My heart broke--it's slowly being sewn together. I've spent more time staring at laundry soap (is it soap? softener?) and tights (what does this size mean?) than I probably ever will again. Twenty-ten was a growth year.

Dear Katrina in 2011,
Please allow yourself to continue growing, both as an individual and as a soul connected to the earth. Let yourself deepen your appreciation and awareness for how your actions affect others. Open your heart to new experiences. Give yourself the strength to see joy in small moments. Laugh, thrive, and above all else: breathe.

3 comments:

Eleonora said...

Hi! I lived near Seattle some time ago. Where from Washington are you?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been having a read of your blog b/coz I'm heading to Ilsan Sth Korea in Feb. I love the honesty in your blog. Any suggestions on what to pack or anything at all?

Katrina said...

Hi! I would definitely suggest packing deodorant, vitamins, and lotion (lotion is weirdly expensive here). mmm...bras and underwear, too! everything else is fairly accessible. good luck!