Thursday, January 27, 2011

it's here!

It's time to cheer, to let out a big WOOP WOOP for the end of intensives. The class was a struggle. I had eight kids, placed in a "intensive writing" course (level: basic) who were unable to construct basic sentences.


Katrina Teacher, on a daily basis: "Okay! Here we go! Which word in this sentence is a verb? /The dog runs.\  Which word tells us an action? Remember? We talked about this last time (and the time before, and really, let's be honest, 2 minutes ago, with only a slightly different sentence) .........."
Class: Blank stares. The smarter ones are risk takers. They don't mind making mistakes. "THE!" they shout.
Katrina Teacher: "Nope. Try again."
Class: Silence.
Katrina Teacher: "What does the dog do?"
Class: Another brave soul, "Teacher! Dog! DOG, Teacher!"
Katrina Teacher: Deep breath. "Okay. Let's use Katrina Teacher as an example." I start running around the room. As I run, I ask, "What is Katrina Teacher DOING right now?"
Class: "Teacher? Why run? Teacher silly!"
Katrina Teacher: Exasperation hits. Deeper breath. "Okay, let's start over..."


Rinse and repeat. Between basic grammatical structure lessons, I attempted to get coherent sentences out of them in writing. Even when I helped/edited on their paper, they had trouble copying the edited portion onto their final product. Hence, this student's page:

Let's face it: he has most of the verbs. 
As for articles and correct spelling...I'm leaving that to another teacher.

By the last day, I was tired of writing. The kids were VERY tired of writing. SO, I let them draw pictures for each piece they had written. It was a great last day. A few of them had even mastered the use of verbs by the end. Success.

Hannah (in red), is hilarious. Definitely a favorite. She even uses verbs.

 Hard at work.


My most challenging student. 
By the end, he had won my heart, especially with this fish picture.

I'm off to work to administer a few writing and speaking "level-up" tests, teach a bit, do a little grading, and say GOODBYE for a whole week. Ahhhh. Vacation has finally arrived.


(Other random, kind of exciting news: I gave my official notice that I would not be extending my current contract. It felt good. April 18th is my final day of work at CDI April. Woohoo!)

2 comments:

psh said...

Katrina,

Your words are inspiring.

Thank you.

ashley rae said...

i love the conversation with your students... absolutely hilarious :)