Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Culmination

Well, I got through the week. It was nice to be at work with a lot of distraction from the kiddos and my coworkers. I even made myself go out to dinner after work with people a couple of nights. Check me out being all sociable. Ha.

I was exhausted by Friday--not a lot of good sleep coupled with emotional upheaval--but still agreed to go out with my coworkers after work. We ended up eating and then heading (somewhat ashamedly) to the foreigner bar. I guess I haven't really mentioned the bar since I've been here, but it's quite the culture shock. It's full of foreigners and English and loud music. Not exactly my scene from home, but it suffices, minus the fact that we are all in Korea and should probably be experiencing Korean bars. But, sometimes you just need to hear English all around you. ...Sometimes. It's okay in small doses.

The best part of the night was that, after Now Bar, we went to another place that basically has a bunch of dancing. We allllll know I love dancing, and I have to admit to losing that the past few years. It feels great to dance for 4 hours and come home exhausted from simply dancing. Well, that and the fact that it was 5am when I returned home.

Saturday, Vy and I got up early (for her) and went to Seoul to do some shopping in Myeongdong. I didn't end up with much--a jacket for fall and a simple skirt--but it was nice to get out a bit. Everything was packed because (a) it was Saturday and (b) the HiSoul Festival is happening right now. Around 4, we met up with Quinn and Linda, our coworkers, as well as some of Vy's friends from Seoul. One of her friends was having a birthday party and we tagged along. I was EXHAUSTED but I'm very happy I didn't go home early. We went to the 63 Building (aptly named for its 63 floors) that had great views of the Han River, as well as a surprisingly nice art gallery. The plan was to watch the fireworks from the International Fireworks Festival from the top but that didn't really pan out--so we just went back to the street to take them all in.

If you know me, you know that I loooooove fireworks. I didn't get to see them for the 4th this year, so this was a great substitute.

Afterward, Quinn, Linda and I went to Itaewon to get some Indian food. We were all starving and exhausted. It felt great to sit down and have some delicious food with wonderful company. We made it home around 1am and I crashed.

Here are some pictures from the 63 Building and the fireworks show. Sorry about my reflection in the window in some of the pictures.......they don't do the view justice!


This is the 63 Building. It has an aquarium and many other fanciful delights--but we just went to the 60th floor for the art gallery. (The cheapest option at 12,000won).


View from the top of the Han.



The sun was starting to set...

A wishing wall. This was one of the few in English. 


The Love Wall...


Sun's almost down...

 After a mad dash, in which we got to view exploding fireworks through the elevator glass on our way down, we made it outside to get the full experience. My apologies for terrible photos.


Everyone was camped out with food and drinks.

MASSIVE amounts of people. It was insane getting in/out of the subway station.

 

No pictures from Indian food...I was too exhausted...

Overall, it was a great day and night. It's Sunday now, and I can't help but be a bit sad. Sunday's were my favorite days with Justin. But, I'm trying to stay positive and keep a little busy. It's back to work tomorrow. One more week and I'm at my 6 month mark of working! I think my 6 month of being in Korea was yesterday.

If you have been, please keep sending love and support to my heart. I still need it. :)

1 comment:

vyoverseas said...

Got up early for me?!?! I thought I was trying to keep up with you!