Monday, October 11, 2010

6 days

I'm counting the days to my 6th month mark of actually teaching. Six.

Last weekend, I talked with Alex, a coworker, about going to a rock climbing gym in Dongtan. I hope we can do it, because it's one of the only things I can think of to get out of my head. I need a hobby. A hobby beyond reading.

Joining the gym is also on my list of priorities for this week.

Self improvement. I welcome ideas.

So far, all I know is that I yearn for this:

I loved the feeling of rock climbing--an individual sport that requires strength, cleverness, and self motivation. That's what I want and need right now.

________________________________________________

In other news, advice is needed from those teachers out there:

In the last class of the day, I have this horrible little girl named Monica. She is incredibly manipulative and rude, not only to me, but to her classmates. There are only 3 kids in the class (two girls, one boy). Monica succeeds in disrupting the class every day. She refuses to participate (fine, I can ignore that) but then somehow always proceeds to affect the other girl in the class in profound ways. Last night, Dia ended up crying because of something Monica said (in Korean during break time).

I'm just wondering if there is something I can do to either (a) engage Monica to actually participate (I have tried encouragement, giving her extra responsibility, etc) or, at least (b) get her to stop screwing with my other students. Suggestions?

_________________________________________________

Gotta keep breathing.

1 comment:

mamamary said...

Katrina~ climb the rocks, breathe deep, remember you are strong, and know that you are loved.