Sunday, April 25, 2010

One week down...

I made it through my first week!

No, it wasn't easy, but it was (kind of) fun. Kind of.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday I teach 4 classes. Each class is split into 2 40-min segments with a 5 minute break. The first and last class is the same level, with 2 different ones in between. Tuesday/Thursday I have two classes. These are split into 3 40-minute segments. Different levels.

On the whole, my students are respectful, smart, and a-dor-a-ble. Only one of my classes gives me trouble. Figures it would be the last class on M/W/F.

After having that trouble class for the second time, I felt quite defeated on Wednesday night. Close to tears, even. I just could not figure out how to get control of the class. But....Mom to the rescue! We happened to have a Skype date set up that evening and she gave me pointers from her many years of teaching. I went into that class on Friday and took control. Well, more control. ...It's a work in progress. :)

On Saturday, I ventured to Seoul, all by myself! I was on a mission to make it to Insadong, a cultural district of Seoul. Anyhow, the bus and subway were a breeze. However, when I emerged from said subway, my not-so-trusty sense of direction took ahold. So, I went right instead of left. Aaaaand proceeded to wander for a couple of hours.

The wandering was great! Exactly what I needed and why I am here in South Korea--to see new things, people, and places. I am determined to embrace the unexpected and take every bump as happens.

My walk took me in a huge circle (thank goodness for maps) and allowed me to take note of the temples, museums, etc. that I would like to visit on a return trip.

At the end of my journey, I found Insadong. Yayyyy!

Pictures:

The palace (temple?) I aim to return to...


A quite lovely park showcasing the cherry blossom trees in bloom. It was quite magical with all of the petals swirling in the wind.



I found a PlayMobile in Korea!!!!!!


You can't really tell from this picture, but the homes on this street were so so beautiful. .......Maybe I'll try to capture them again sometime. :)


I love that the colors are out in storm. This tree was in the gardens of the home of the Prime Minister. I was trying to be sneaky about taking a picture because there were a bunch of security guards/soldiers out front.

This is a fun piece of art in the middle of an outdoor mall-type place at my intended destination.

All of the people...wish I had gotten a picture of the actual street. This is just one shopping area.


Switching gears...This is what I see on my walk home from work. So many lights!!


And the pretty flowers that are out during the day...

Let's hope this next week is better....I think I'm finally getting the hang of this whole teaching situation.

And a Justin update for those interested: He received his visa code and will have a visa interview this week! Then, he'll make his way on over...by May 24th!

2 comments:

Amy said...

So glad Justin is joining you soon! Or at least going to be close :) I seriously love hearing about your adventures, and seeing your pictures. It's so beautiful, and your cherry blossom pictures look like a postcard! Keep being adventurous...I'm living vicariously through you right now. Love you!

Becky said...

Thanks for the update, Katrina... I'm happy to help with pointers too if you'd like! You're doing great!