Thursday, October 25, 2007

getting on with it

Well just a quick update--

As of last night, I am no longer in my "pod" and have my permanent team assignment! Gold Unit Team 4. So, that's pretty exciting. I know who I am going to be spending the majority of my time with over the next 9.5 months, which is a relief. It should be quite interesting, to say the least, but I think it will be good. I really like my team leader--he is very motivating and seems as though he will help us to create team unity, which is going to be extremely important.

Additionally, I completed my baseline test today. For those of you who don't know, that is the PT test that I had where I was required to run 1.5miles and do as many pushups and situps in 2 minutes as I could. I ran it in 14.46 minutes which means that I will be in group "B"--smack dab in the middle. It's still going to be challenging and I am pretty excited to get whipped into shape!

This afternoon I have some downtime so I am doing laundry (at this point I only have 1 tshirt that was issued to me, so the laundry is WELL needed). It is very warm here-70's to 80's and it looks like it will continue to be so through next week.

After hearing that friends and family down in the San Diego are safe, I am very relieved, but my heart still goes out to them for the devastation that surrounds them. I have been asked if I will be sent down there, but they are not sending us anywhere until we receive ample training. The Red Cross was supposed to do disaster relief with us yesterday but they are quite busy down there with the fires, so that had to be put off. It makes my heart swell when I think that in a few weeks, I will be able to help out in a disaster such as what is happening down there right now. I can't wait to really be making a difference.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy. If you ever feel like writing, my address is:

(my name) Class 14 Gold 4
AmeriCorps *NCCC
3427 Laurel St
McClellan, CA 95652-1014

Love you!

No comments: